Sugar. It’s everywhere. Of course, we can spot the obvious places– like ice cream and cookies, soft drinks and candy bars. But sugar also hides in less obvious places.
Did you realize that store-bought spaghetti sauce almost always contains sugar? How about crackers, bread, and barbeque sauce? Even your breakfast sausage likely contains a good amount of the sweet stuff that leaves you wanting more.
You see, food manufacturers are no dummies. They know exactly what will keep consumers buying their products.
Sugar is addictive.
In fact, scientists have now discovered that sugar is more addictive than cocaine or heroin!
So, if you find yourself craving a brownie after you’ve just eaten dinner—it’s not your fault. The sugar got you.
Unfortunately, when you eat that brownie you’re only going to get a little sugar buzz and then crash, just to begin the whole cycle over again. (Yep, that’s addiction.)
When you eat processed white sugar (and starches—but that’s for another discussion), your body THINKS it’s getting the nourishment it needs. When it’s left lacking the essential nutrients it was expecting, it just begs for more.
This is the idea behind “empty calories.”
Wouldn’t you love to beat that sugar addiction—to stop it in its ugly tracks? You can.
I’ve got four solid health hacks that will teach your body to stop wanting sugar—and they don’t include “stop eating sugar.”
Instead of just telling you to go cold turkey with it (which would be great if you could—but let’s be realistic), these four tricks retrain your body and brain to actually stop wanting it.
Trick #1: Try Drinking A Green Smoothie Every Day
Smoothies are delicious—some fruit, protein, ice, throw it in the blender and yum-o! Then, if you start adding in handfuls of fresh leafy greens, you’ve got a recipe for sugar-bashing success.
Why does drinking a green smoothie a day help kick the sugar habit?
Here’s why: It’s a healthier choice.
The smoothie can pack in as much as 9 servings of fruits and vegetables, including all the filling fiber that goes with using the whole fruit.
That’s much healthier than the bowl of Frosted Flakes or cream cheese bagel you were having for breakfast, or the chocolate chip granola bar you enjoyed as an afternoon snack with your large mocha.
Your body starts craving the good stuff. You’ll soon find that you WANT a green smoothie.
Your body needs the phytochemicals in leafy greens to function properly—they are antioxidant and antibacterial, they can protect your cells and prevent the growth of cancer.
PLUS, they stimulate hormone production. I’d say phytochemicals are important— so when your body gets a taste, it wants more!
Once you replace the empty calories with the nutrient-packed ones, and you begin to crave the greens, your taste for the sugary stuff will start to fade away naturally.
Basic Green Smoothie Formula:
- Leafy Greens (a big handful or two): kale, spinach, arugula, chard, dandelion greens, beet greens, mustard greens, dark lettuces and more
- Fruits and Veggies (one or more): fresh or frozen strawberries, blueberries, cherries, peaches, apples, tomato, celery, beets, avocado, bell pepper, cucumber, small banana, lemon, orange, ginger, carrot. These are some suggestions, but there’s a rainbow of choices out there!
- Liquid: pure filtered water, unsweetened almond or coconut milk, unsweetened kefir, tea, and ice if you like it slushy.
- Add-ins: unsweetened protein powder, flax seed, chia seed, cinnamon, spirulina, chlorella, hulled hemp seeds, vitamin C powder, extra virgin olive oil
Blend it all together until it’s nice and smooth!
Adjust the flavors to meet your taste buds. You can add in a bit of pure, organic dried Stevia leaf until your taste buds adjust to having things a little less sweet!
There are a ton of recipe combinations out there, and of course you can access all our favorites in the Recipe Library when you try the Fat-Burning Tribe (free for your first 7 days!).
Trick #2: Eat Huge Salads
Whatever you’re eating for a main course, eat it with a huge salad full of leafy greens and veggies, nuts, seeds, avocado, and maybe even some green apple.
Top it off with a simple squirt of lemon and pepper, or drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
The salad is going to give you that same healthy craving that came with the green smoothie, plus it will fill you up so your body is satisfied—there’s nothing left to crave if your body is fully nourished.
Eat the salad a bit before your dinner or main course for the added prebiotic benefit of producing healthy gut bacteria, which reduces inflammation and aids digestion!
Trick #3: Get Protein With Every Meal
Eating healthy proteins with your meal helps balance your blood sugar, so you don’t get the dips and spikes that cause sugar cravings.
Plus, healthy protein helps keep you feeling fuller longer—making that bag of M & M’s easier to resist later in the day.
Keep boiled eggs on hand for a good protein snack, or try rolling up asparagus or celery in a slice of roast beef with a little garlic mustard for a quick fix.
Always go with organic, grass-fed, free-range meat and eggs and wild caught fish when possible. Add in extra nuts and legumes if you are exercising hard or need extra carbohydrates.
Trick #4: Sleep More (Or At Least Better)
We live in a nation of sleep-deprived zombies. Is it such a coincidence that we are also chronically overweight? No, it is not.
When you don’t get enough sleep, the hormones that regulate your appetite are suppressed, which means your body has a hard time reading hunger signals.
The biological process called your “circadian rhythm” is out of whack. You’re tired and feeling hungry (even when you’re not really hungry), so you grab something that’s going to give you an instant energy fix: sugar.
Then there goes that whole addiction cycle again.
When you’re trying to work late, exercise, enjoy your family and hobbies and catch up on social networking, you might be tempted to shout, “There’s not enough time to sleep!”
Make time, or make your sleep better. Or both.
You can do really well on 7 hours if they’re 7 hours of deep sleep.
Try these tricks to reset your circadian rhythm, get more z’s, and stop the sugar from taking over:
- Eat your biggest meal after dark to kick into “rest and digest mode.”
- Refrain from exercise for a few hours before bed time.
- Go to bed at the same time every night.
- Use light-blocking shades on your bedroom windows, or use an eye mask to achieve optimal darkness.
- Use ear plugs to block out sound (if you don’t have small children you need to listen for).
- Try to get sunlight early in the day to reset your circadian rhythm.
- Drink chamomile or kava tea after sundown.
- Avoid alcohol. It prevents you from reaching deep restorative sleep.
- This is a hard one, but if you can also avoid artificial light after sundown, that helps a lot. Especially the glowing screen of your tv, phone, tablet, and computer!
If you’re trying to kick a sugar addiction, know that you’re not alone—and you can do it! Use these four easy tricks to stop your sugar cravings in their tracks and take charge of your body and your health.
LEARN HOW TO DROP 20 POUNDS IN 40 DAYS WITH REAL FOOD
What To Do When You Get A Sugar Craving
When craving hit hard, remind yourself that it’ll only stick around for a few days and try these things for immediately relief… Ask yourself:
- Am I thirsty? Drink a huge glass of purified water and the cravings may subside.
- Have I had my fill of greens and fiber today? Go for a salad, veggies, or a green smoothie. Add in some high-quality protein and a bit of healthy fat to help you feel satiated.
- Am I emotional or bored? Wait twenty minutes, go for a walk, or exercise.
- Did I drink alcohol recently? Your body is probably tricking you into thinking you’re craving sugar because your insulin is out of whack. Wait it out.
- Still craving sugar? Drink a seltzer with a slice of lemon, or a warm mug of herbal tea. Those are great for cutting the cravings.
Are You Up For The Challenge?
We just kicked off our 7-Day Sugar Detox Challenge in the Fat-Burning Tribe, and you still have time to join.
Here’s what our members are saying about the challenge:
Patti says: 15 days completed…and still going!! My waist is smaller and my hips are too! I’m down 7 pounds and my cravings are gone!! Thanks for the boost!!
Alyssa says: 6 days down and one more to go. Feeling amazing and finally shedding off all the weight I put on for my chronic binging for 1 1/2 years. Back below 160!
Way to go, Patti and Alyssa! Rockin’ it.
Ready to kick your sugar habit? Join the 7-Day Sugar Detox Challenge and the office candy bowl will have nothing on you.
When you join the Tribe you’ll not only access our challenges, you’ll also get:
- Quick-Start Video Library to get you started right away.
- Wild30 Challenge with 30-days of videos and information to walk you through shedding unwanted fat.
- 7-Minute Wild Workout video and Timer Tool
- Monthly Wild Meal Plans with color photos, seasonal recipes, defrost notes, shopping lists, links for easy navigation, and tons more
- Quick-Start Guide with a very quick and simple overview of The Wild Diet so you can get started immediately.
- Motivation Journal to track your meals, exercises, sleep, and mindset.
- Recipe Library with all our favorite meals and recipes low-sugar
- And more!
Plus, the longer your a member, the more you’ll unlock with your membership, including:
- Question & Answer video library (unlocks after your first 30 days)
- Wild Diet Video Course, a video training series designed to boost your knowledge of the Wild lifestyle. (unlocks after 60 days in the Tribe)
- Fat Loss Masterclass, a 15-video series that teach you how to lose fat and live better using principles backed by cutting-edge science (unlocks after 90 days in the Tribe)
- AND a ton more!
If you join us soon, you can try everything for free for the the first 7 days.
So, if you’d like to get your health questions answered meet us in person, visit FatBurningTribe.com right now to get the details.
What are your favorite ways to stop sugar cravings? Leave a comment below to share what works for you.