Today we have an epic Creamy Cashew Broccoli Soup recipe from Dr. Janae Devika. Dr. Devika was a guest just last week on the Fat-Burning Man show and we discussed why real food heals better than drugs and how to trick your family into eating veggies. Click here to listen or watch the podcast. Onto the recipe, hope you enjoy it!
I love veggies! The more vegetables I eat, the better I feel, the better I look, and the better I perform. But let’s be honest, sometimes vegetables can be exhausting. It takes time to shop for them, prepare them, and even more time to chew them. So, I’m always looking for quick, easy, delicious ways to add more veggies into every meal. And when I’m tired of chewing I love adding blended vegetable recipes to my meals so I can get all the disease fighting, health-boosting phytonutrient benefits in a fraction of the time and without wearing out my jaw muscles.
One of my favorite blended vegetable recipes is Creamy Broccoli Soup. I know what you’re thinking… that’s not a vegetable dish, its milk and butter providing a creamy vehicle for a little bit of broccoli. Not today folks. This recipe is dairy free, nutrient dense and packed full of anti-cancer, liver detoxing cruciferous vegetables. Prepare yourself for delicious!
All you need is a blender, some produce, a few minutes to steam some veggies, and you’re on your way to the healthiest cream of broccoli soup ever…
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 large onion
- 1 large sweet potato (white not orange)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large head broccoli
- 2 cubes Rapunzel bullion or 1 Tbsps. Seitenbacher Broth Powder
- ⅓ cup raw cashews (soaked for 4 hours)
- 2 Tbsp. organic grass fed butter (can substitute coconut oil)
- 2 tsp. nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 strips cooked bacon, crumbled or ¼ cup nitrate free ham (optional)
- PREP: Wash cauliflower and broccoli. Peel onion and chop roughly, peel sweet potato and cut into ¼ inch cubes.
- COOK: Put cauliflower, sweet potato, broccoli and ½ inch water in a large pot. Steam vegetables until fork tender. In a separate skillet, sauté onion in butter until soft and slightly brown on the edges. Add garlic to the coked onions and sauté for 1 more minute.
- BLEND: Put cauliflower, onions, ⅓ of the sweet potatoes, garlic, cashews, broth powder, and nutritional yeast in a high speed blender (Vita Mix, Blend Tech, or Ninja work best). Blend for several minutes until smooth and creamy. Add additional salt or broth powder if desired. Add steamed broccoli to blender and pulse until broccoli is mixed in but still chunky. Gently stir in remainder of sweet potato cubes and bacon/ham. Add extra water if necessary to achieve desired consistency. Top with black pepper.
- SERVE: Soup should be hot when it comes out of the blender. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- THRIVE: Each cup of this amazing soup contains 3-4 servings of vegetables, 10 grams fiber, over 200% DV of vitamins A, C, &K, and is strongly anti-inflammatory.
If you love this recipe, stay tuned for more nutrient dense Veggie Power recipes from Dr. Janae at Café Janae.