- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (aluminum-free)
- 6 tablespoons coconut palm sugar (plus 2 – 4 tablespoons more for sweeter palettes)
- ¼ teaspoon pure stevia extract
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Homemade ice cream (or use high-quality store bought ice cream*)
- Put an 11x7 storage container in the freezer, and line 2 baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make homemade ice cream, and allow it to churn while you make the cookie wafers. (If using store-bought ice cream, take out of the freezer and let it sit for a bit, if needed, to soften.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, baking powder, coconut sugar, stevia, espresso powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites and vanilla extract for a couple minutes, until whites start to froth and fluff.
- Stir egg white mixture into cocoa powder mixture until thoroughly combined. It’ll be thick and sticky.
- Scoop spoonfuls of dough onto parchement paper and spread each glob into a thin, round cookie shape (these won’t spread). You should have about 12 - 16 round cookies total (or make into smaller cookies for mini ice cream sandwiches).
- Bake for 8 minutes. Cool completely.
- Lay a piece of plastic wrap on the counter and place one cookie (flat-side up) on the plastic. Open freezer. Scoop a large scoop of ice cream onto the cookie, top with another cookie, and wrap plastic around it. Place in the dish in the freezer. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. It should make about 6 - 8 ice cream sandwiches.
- Freeze for at least 3 hours. If freezing overnight or longer, you may need to remove from the freezer for 20 minutes or so to soften before serving.
Howdy, Alyson here. Abel and I can’t wait for you to try our brand new Wild Ice Cream Sandwich recipe.
Don’t worry, making these ice cream sandwiches is easy.
Celebrate your independence from Dairy Queen.If there's something the world doesn't have, then go make it. #IceCreamSandwich Click To Tweet
You deserve the very best ice cream sandwiches. We hope they help you share a slice of delicious freedom with family and friends.
Did you make these ice cream sandwiches yet? Were they polished off immediately? Share your Ice Cream Sandwich pics with us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and in the comments below. We can’t wait to hear what you think.Share this with your friends!