In today’s show, we’re privileged to be with the reigning Mrs. United States, Shannon Ford. After she was diagnosed with Celiac disease three years ago, Shannon went gluten-free, then grain-free, and now has transitioned to a Paleo diet.
Yes, even beauty queens eat like cavewomen.
Actually, after being a pageant girl and in the public eye for most of her life (she won Ms. Florida and was a Miami Dolphins cheerleader, as well), Shannon remarked how she used a low-carb diet to help her slim down before competitions and events.
Long before Paleo was in vogue, celebrities, fitness models, bodybuilders and others have known that limiting carbs increases the rate of fat loss. In Shannon’s case, controlling carbs automatically limited her intake of grains – doubly effective for a Celiac.
These days, Shannon is an outspoken advocate for the Celiac Foundation and uses her celebrity status to raise awareness about Celiac disease and a gluten-free and grain-free way of life. It is her goal throughout her year as Mrs. USA to bring more attention to the illness and advocate for better labeling of our nation’s food supply. A worthy cause, indeed.
Robb Wolf recently spoke about Shannon on his blog, “I think it’s great that Shannon is using her platform as Mrs. USA to educate folks about Celiac and the benefits of a Paleo diet. I’d love to have a 1000 more high-profile people who were willing to do the same.” You betcha, Robb.
In today’s show, Shannon and I discuss:
- How pasta, pizza, and bread can make you look 3 months pregnant
- How bacon is like dessert
- Why even beauty queens, bodybuilders, and magazine cover celebrities cannot (and should not) maintain a “perfect” body 100% of the time
- Why Jillian Michaels was right about eliminating processed food but completely wrong about “healthy” whole grains
- Weight lifting and exercise tips for women (forget the treadmill and Barbie weights)
- Why you should be concerned that foods can say that they are gluten free when they are not
- How gluten sensitivity is far more common than you might expect
- How Shannon “accidentally” ran the New York marathon
- Why a low-fat Paleo diet doesn’t really work
- How six-packs are carved by spoons
- Hidden sources of gluten that you need to avoid
- Why “skinny” doesn’t mean “healthy”
- How life is too short NOT to eat cupcakes
Here’s the show.
And here’s the shortened YouTube slideshow (it’s only the first 15 minutes). If you want to hear the full show, listen above or click here.
Discover how to drop fat with chocolate, bacon, and cheesecake. Plus: learn the 3 worst foods you should NEVER eat and the 7 best exercises for rapid fat loss. Click below to to claim your FREE gift ($17 value)!