To get you warmed up for my New Orleans themed album of original music, Swamp Thing, we’re sharing spicy Cajun recipes to set the mood. Today, check out this Ragin’ Cajun Blackened Catfish.
Blackening was popularized by chef Paul Prudhomme in the 1980’s to give red fish a powerful punch.
These days, Prudhomme’s method of drenching fish in butter, dusting in creole spices, and frying in a smokin’ hot pan is used on all kinds of fish and chicken.
I don’t recommend charring your food often—a dish like this one is good as an every-once-in-awhile treat.
This catfish filet is perfect when blackened. It holds together well and comes out moist in the center with a nice crisp blackened “crust.” If you’ve just gone down to the fishing hole, this is a tasty way to use your catch. But you can also find wild caught catfish at most fish mongers. If you can’t find wild catfish, try this recipe with salmon or sole and serve it up with Creamy Chopped Slaw (page 159 of The Wild Diet) or a simple green salad.
RAGIN’ CAJUN BLACKENED CATFISH (WILD DIET, PALEO-FRIENDLY)
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or ghee
- 2 wild catfish filets (6 – 8 ounces), skinned and deboned.
- ½ teaspoon each: dried thyme, sea salt, white pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, dried oregano, smoked paprika
- Rinse the catfish filets and pat dry. Melt the butter and brush both sides of the fish, using as much of the butter as possible.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over very high heat for about ten minutes. It should be smoking hot!
- In a small bowl, mix together the spices. Sprinkle the spice mixture all over both sides of the fish filets.
- Lay the filets into the hot pan and cook about four minutes on each side. You’ll know they’re getting done when the smoke starts to turn gray! (You might want to crack a window.)
- Serve alongside some cool, creamy cabbage slaw (optional).
NEED SOME ROCKIN’ TUNES TO GO WITH DINNER?
You can grab the my brand-spankin’ new album of original New Orleans themed music, Swamp Thing, and get my eBook for free! Or you can get the Limited Edition Signed CD (plus digital version and bonuses)—normally $39.95—for just $19.95!
What’s your favorite Cajun-style recipe? Comment below to share it with us.
Discover how to drop fat with chocolate, bacon, and cheesecake. Plus: learn the 3 worst foods you should NEVER eat and the 7 best exercises for rapid fat loss. Click below to to claim your FREE gift ($17 value)!