I get a lot of questions about how to sneak organ meats into your weekly rotation. Liver from grass-fed and pastured beef, has more nutritional bounce to the ounce than just about any other substance on the face of this earth.
Straight-up organ meat can be gnarly on its own, but it gives you superpowers. Alyson sneaks liver into my meatloaf because she loves me.
If you’re not sure how to get your liver on, this recipe is for you. It’s obviously a meat-heavy recipe. As always, eat as many veggies as you can with this dish.
This recipe makes 3 meatloafs. Bake one now and freeze the rest for dinner in a few weeks. Enjoy!
- 2 pounds ground beef (from grass-fed cows)
- 1 pound ground chicken (free-range / organic)
- 1 pound beef liver (from grass-fed cows), cut into 1″ pieces or ground
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp dried parley
- 1 Tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup tomato sauce, separated
- 1 6oz can of tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp butter (or duck fat, lard, coconut oil, or bacon grease)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Melt a tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté diced onions, red bell peppers, and garlic until the onions become soft and translucent.
- In your largest mixing bowl, stir together almond flour and spices. Add eggs, ½ cup tomato sauce, and tomato paste, and combine. Mix in onion and red bell pepper mixture along with ground beef, chicken, and liver. Mix with hands until everything is well incorporated.
- Place a third of the mixture into a greased loaf pan, and bake for 45-55 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- When meatloaf is almost done (with about 5 minutes remaining), top with the remaining ½ cup of tomato sauce and continue to bake.
- Remove from oven, and allow to cool slightly. Serve with a side of mixed greens and balsamic.
Please join over 95,000 people who receive exclusive weekly fat-burning tips. Plus: get my Wild Kitchen Cook Book, Wild Diet Cheat Sheet & Fatty Coffee Video FREE. Click below to get rolling now.