Bacon has been shunned by the health community for the last half-decade as an artery-clogging, fat-building demon.
But baby, bacon’s back. And by the sheer number of people who have jumped right on the bacon-wagon, it begs the question: Were they ever really off?
Sure, we know the couple of people who gave it up because they were listening to their doctor… or they switched to turkey bacon. Did you watch those people carefully? You KNOW they were nibbling the greasy bits off the bottom of the serving dish when no-one was looking. That’s because no-one can resist bacon’s awesome power.
The saturated fat found in natural, pastured, uncured pork bacon is far better for you than the processed grain oils the health community had us believing were actually helping us lose weight and reverse heart disease. Bacon also is full of protein and vital nutrients with barely a carb to spare.
Plus, bacon contains a substance called choline that can actually help improve cognitive function.
Wait, bacon is brain food? Yep!
Plus PLUS, bacon makes us feel good. Maybe that’s why it can draw us humans to it like moths to a flame.
Let’s coin that as a new saying: Like humans to bacon. I like it.
We just have to listen to our bodies, don’t we? Bacon is the universal flavor enhancer—it makes everything better! Everyone knows that—and I asked a bunch of people to help me jot down 100 most-loved ways to eat this crunchy, salty, delicious delicacy.
So, without further ado, here’s our big list of Paleo and Wild Diet friendly ideas that include this most magical of ingredients. You’re welcome.
TOP 100 USES FOR BACON
- Bacon and eggs (love the basics)
- Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger
- Meatloaf with Ground Bacon in it
- Chocolate Almond Cookies with Bacon Bits
- Bacon Chocolate Cupcakes
- Bacon wrapped scallops – In The Wild Kitchen App
- Spinach Bacon salad
- Bacon wrapped roasted turkey
- Hot as the Devil Eggs – In The Wild Kitchen App
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenders
- Dates stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped in bacon
- Chocolate Covered Bacon
- Infamous Chocolate Chip Bacon Cookies
- Bacon Wrapped Sausage Appetizers
- Egg Salad Bacon Cups
- Bacon Bowl filled with anything
- Bacon Chips with Guacamole
- Pancakes and Bacon
- Chilled Broccoli Cashew Salad with Bacon
- The Sultry Pig (bacon chocolate fatty coffee) – In The Wild Kitchen App
- Bacon Brownies
- Greens sautéed in bacon grease
- Jalapeno Bacon Coconut Biscuits
- Bacon-topped Baked Sweet Potato
- Bacon Jerky
- Spinach, Tomato, and Bacon Frittata
- Warm Maple Bacon Vinaigrette
- Slow Cooker Bacon Apple Chicken
- Chicken, Bacon, and Avocado Wraps
- BLT Salad (or sandwich)
- Chocolate Bacon Almond Butter Bananas
- Chop Salad with Bacon, Egg, Tomato, Cucumber and Ranch Dressing
- Chipotle Bacon Popcorn (heirloom, organic popping corn of course)
- Shrimp and Bacon Tacos
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Bacon Veggie Egg Cups
- Skewered Bacon Shrimp
- Bacon Liver and Onions
- Sweet Potato and Bacon Hash
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole with Bacon and Beef
- Collard Greens with Bacon
- Chocolate Mousse with Coconut Whipped Cream and Bacon Bits
- Paleo Bacon Dark Chocolate Fudge
- Chocolate Almond Bacon Bark
- Bacon Wrapped Pineapple Mozzarella Rings
- Pineapple and Bacon Pizza with Cauliflower Crust
- Roasted Veggies with Bacon
- Bacon, Onion, and Broccoli Omelet
- Bacon Wrapped Meatballs
- Chocolate Bacon Paleo Banana Bread
- Eggs Benedict (Canadian Bacon)
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Bacon Sprinkles
- Bacon Chocolate Truffle
- Sauteed Cauliflower with Curry and Bacon
- Virgin Bloody Mary with Bacon Garnish
- Zucchini Noodle Carbonara
- Eggs Cracked into Bacon Cups and Baked
- Bacon Wrapped Fish Sticks
- Maple Candied Bacon
- Mock Potato Chowder
- Tomato Salad with Bacon
- Bacon, Portabella, & Caramelized Onion Crepe
- Bacon Wrapped Mission Figs
- Bacon Relish
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- Chocolate Almond Ice Cream with Candied Bacon Bits
- Butternut Squash Soup topped with Bacon Bits
- Bacon, Avocado, and Cilantro Wrap
- Creamy Bacon and Mushroom Soup
- Whipped Cauliflower with Bacon and Chives
- Bacon Pancake Sandwiches
- Bacon and Nut Stuffed Mushrooms
- Grease your skillet with it
- Replace part of the fat in your baking with bacon grease
- Bacon and Veggie Cauliflower Fried “Rice”
- Bacon Wrapped Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges
- Jicama Mock Potato Salad with Bacon and Scallions
- Bacon Chocolate Pots
- Bacon-Fried Eggs
- Bacon-Topped Gazpacho
- Bacon Grilled Cheese (with Grass-fed Cheddar)
- Sauteed Kale, Bacon, and Beets
- Bacon Wrapped Roasted Parsnips
- Fish n’ Bacon Tacos
- Smoky Bacon Gumbo
- Pecan Pancakes with Maple Syrup and Bacon Bits
- Bacon Wrapped Steak Bites
- Apple Pie with Bacon Crumb Topping
- Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin
- Western Omelet
- Turkey Club Sandwich on Almond Bread (or wrap)
- Bacon Cashew “Cheese” Dip
- Smokey Bacon Buffalo Wing Sauce
- Cracked Pepper Bacon
- Roasted Garlic and Bacon Chutney
- Caesar Salad with Bacon
- Bacon Flavored Kale Chips (replace oil with bacon grease)
- Bacon-Sausage Scotch Eggs
- Caramelized Onion and Bacon Burger
Whew! That’s a lot of bacon.
What’s your favorite way to eat the candy of the meat world? Got recipes? Share them. Pictures? Let’s see! Remember to stick to organic nitrate-free bacon and keep the processed sugars and grains at bay. Otherwise, go Hog Wild!
Mick Moyer says
Bacon wrapped grass fed rib eye steak. Now my mouth is watering…LOL
Edit: bad rap not bad wrap….bacon would be AWESOME in a wrap and that would be BAD A%# but that isn’t your intended meaning! Love your website, books, etc. Geaux WILD!
Wow! Didn’t know bacon could be so good! What is the best bacon to eat? I am talking ideal bacon. Give the very best and I will do my best to eat it!
I know you have interviewed Chris Kresser before and you even said he was your “favorite myth-buster”. He wrote an article suggesting nitrates in bacon are not that bad. http://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate-and-nitrite-myth-another-reason-not-to-fear-bacon
Your thoughts on this? It certainly is cheaper to buy the nitrate infused bacon.
Galveston Gal says
Jalapeno poppers…so very Wonderful!
Just Jalapenos…stuffed with cream cheese + crumbled bacon….bake them…YUM! ! !
Reading this makes me think of Bubba from Forest Gump talking about shrimp! You know everything there is to know about bacon Abel. Thanks for the tips!
I love scramble eggs cooked in bacon fat with mushrooms and Avocado on the side. Yum Yum
Matthew G. Monroe says
As good as bacon is –– and, damn, it really is good –– and as great as bacon and eggs are together, there’s a pork and chicken combination that’s sooooooooooo insanely flavorful that –– honest to god –– it’s like the crack cocaine of pork & chicken recipes.
I’m of course talking about prosciutto and eggs.
And here’s a recipe for prosciutto-wrapped baked eggs that very well might have you abandoning plain your ol’ bacon ‘n’ eggs.
Ken L says
Bacon house salad with watermelon
Abel, what’s your response to the medical study suggesting more than 30 g of bacon a day significantly increases your risk of cancer. Are you still confortable promoting eating so much?
Abel James says
As with all animal food, we aim to eat pasture-raised bacon from healthy pigs without any added nitrates, nitrites, MSG, or anything else artificial. The studies I’ve seen have shown that processed factory-farmed bacon is unhealthy – I totally agree with that. Always get the best quality food you can find and afford!
Abel — I know we’re avoiding sugar on the Wild Diet, but it’s exceedingly difficult to find, even uncured bacon, without any sugar at all. I’ve found it online, but it seems you need to buy it in bulk to meet minimum requirements for shipping at these sellers. Is there a bacon brand you’d recommend? Is it okay if there’s trace sugar if we avoid everything you’ve described in your reply?
French Southern Territories