- 2 large green plantains or green bananas (or slightly yellow*)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, plus more as needed (or grass-fed butter)
- Sea salt
- Grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- Run a knife up the plantain peel lengthwise, and pry your fingers between the plantain and peel to separate the peel away. Remove and discard peel.
- Add 2 plantains and 2 eggs to the blender. Blend smooth, about 1 minute.
- Melt a tablespoon of coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add dollops of pancake batter to the skillet, and cook until the top starts to dry and the edges brown, about 2 - 4 minutes. Flip pancakes, and continue to cook until lightly browned with crisp edges.
- If needed, add more coconut oil to the skillet between batches.
- Top with grass-fed butter or coconut oil, and sprinkle with sea salt. Serve with a side of scrambled eggs, bacon, and a green smoothie.
If you listen to most health nuts, they’ll tell you to give up pancakes for good.
But I won’t.
Nosireebob. We found a way to make pancakes without flour, gluten, and other junk.
These babies are low-glycemic, moist, and surprisingly delicious considering they’re made of unconventional ingredients.
These pancakes are a favorite on the weekend… or any morning.
You die-hard pancake lovers won’t believe that this is good for you.
How Pancakes Can Heal Your Gut & Help Burn Fat (Not Sugar)
If you’ve been following The Wild Diet, you know that protein like eggs are an important building block for the body and that the coconut oil (fat) helps keep you in fat-burning mode—but the plantains?! Aren’t they a starch?Not all starches are created equal. #ResistantStarch Click To Tweet
Starches are long chains of glucose found in grains (like wheat and rice), potatoes, pasta, bread, and corn.
When you eat mashed potatoes or a plate of noodles, for example, the glucose in that starch signals your brain to release insulin. Insulin’s job is to regulate blood sugar… but the problem is that insulin also tells your body to store fat.
That’s one of the major reasons to limit starches and stick to The Wild Diet Plate—full of low-starch veggies, protein, and fat.
However, some starches mosey right on through the digestive tract. They are resistant to digestion. Commonly referred to as resistant starch. And it’s awesome for fat-loss, and keeping all your gut bacteria happy.
Green plantain is a resistant starch that simply has an indigestible cell structure. So when you eat these pancakes, the green plantain goes to work in a number of ways:
- Improves gut health – reduces your risk for diseases like diabetes, colorectal cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, diverticulitis, Crohn’s Disease, and obesity.
- Increases insulin sensitivity – reduces the amount of insulin released when you eat, thus reducing the amount of fat stored in your body.
- Heals leaky gut – promotes a healthy immune system and reduces low-grade chronic inflammation.
- Increases satiety– helps you feel fuller and thus consume fewer calories.
If you want to get the full rundown on how resistant starch helps you burn fat and feel amazing, check out this article.
In the meantime, try out these delicious, light and fluffy pancakes—they’re easier than the junky pancakes from a box and much healthier.
Giving Your Gut A Boost with Probiotics
Resistant starch, like that found in green plantains, along with raw green veggies, are some of your good belly bugs all time favorite foods.
But are you getting enough probiotics in your diet?
Believe it or not, about 7 pounds of your total body weight is composed of bacteria that live in your intestines.
This gut flora is responsible for some pretty important functions, like helping you digest food, protect from pathogens, detoxify harmful compounds, as well as produce vitamins and other nutrients to keep your gut and immune system healthy.
If you’re looking for an easy way to get more good probiotics in your gut, we have some good news for you.
Right now you can save over $55 off when you stock-up on our gluten-free probiotics from Wild Superfoods.
These are literally the probiotics that my wife Alyson and I have been taking daily for the past 3+ years to help keep our microbiome in tip top shape.
The cutting-edge design of Probiotic Spheres protects probiotic organisms from stomach acid for ultimate delivery to your entire digestive tract.
Each sphere is like a tiny spaceship shuttling 5 billion live friendly helpmates straight to where you need them: your microbiome.
And right now you can save a whopping $55 off when you grab the Probiotic Spheres 3-pack. Just click below to claim the deal, and I look forward to hearing how you like them.
Have you tried green plantain pancakes? Leave a comment below to let us know what you think!