When you first crack open The Wild Diet book, you might notice the breakfast spread. It’s a scrumptious feast featuring blueberry muffins, bacon, eggs, potatoes, and steak!
Yes, this can be your breakfast on The Wild Diet! Here’s how these indulgent foods fit into your fat-loss plan.
Kurt shed 87 pounds and 22% percentage points body fat on ABC’s My Diet is Better Than Yours, and intermittent fasting was one of his weight-loss tools. That means he’d drink a cup of fatty coffee in the morning and not eat again until the late afternoon, keeping his body in fat-burning mode (ketosis).
I refer to my nutrient-timing strategy as “fasting and feasting.” Most days, I wait to have my first meal until noon or even 3pm (while enjoying a morning Fatty Coffee or Bone Broth). But that doesn’t mean I give up the glory of a hearty breakfast feast.
On the weekends, Alyson and I usually enjoy a hearty Wild breakfast. And if we’re being honest, it’s probably better described as a “brunch.”
Our favorites? Green plantain pancakes with coconut oil (or pastured butter), veggie-and-cheese-filled omelets, or a Green Monster Frittata with bruschetta topping. Sometimes, especially if we’re entertaining, we make a big breakfast feast so everyone can sample a little bit of our favorite foods.
So here is one of our go-to weekend breakfast feasts when we have company. Packed with protein, fresh vegetables, and quality starches that help replenish your muscles and glycogen stores with a carb-refeed.
Yes, this can be your breakfast on The Wild Diet! Here’s how to get the party started…
WILD BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup blanched almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 cup cashew butter
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup raw honey
- 4 tablespoons grass-fed butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (or frozen, thawed and drained)
- coconut milk or heavy cream, if needed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together coconut flour, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl with whisk attachment, beat together cashew butter, eggs, honey, melted butter, and vanilla.
- Slowly beat dry ingredients into wet ingredients, adding a bit of coconut milk or heavy cream if needed to create a wet batter.
- Stir in blueberries.
- Pour equally into twelve muffin cups and bake in preheated oven for 35 - 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Enjoy with grass-fed butter on top.
BALSAMIC ROASTED SWEET POTATOES (WILD DIET PG. 231)
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Rinse the potato cubes under cold water, drain well.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Toss the potato cubes with the melted coconut oil and spread in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the potatoes darken in color and start to get tender, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, turn to coat, and bake for 5 to 10 minutes more, until tender and starting to caramelize. Serve immediately.
PERFECT BACON & SUNNY SIDE UP EGGS
- 1 to 2 slices per person pasture-raised pork bacon
- 2 eggs per person
- 1 teaspoon grass-fed butter per egg
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil, slightly crinkled (or use a wire baking rack).
- Lay the bacon slices in an even layer, ½ inch apart, on the foil-lined sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate to drain.
- To cook the eggs: Heat butter in a large pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Gently crack the eggs into the butter, leaving a good inch in between each egg.
- Once the white starts to set (a minute or two), gently spoon some of the butter over the top of the egg whites only. Continue to cook until whites are set and yolk is still orange, about 1 minute or so.
- Remove to the plate, salt and pepper and serve.
SLICED PAN-SEARED STEAK
- 1 ½ - 2 pound grass-fed New York Strip Steak (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed beef tallow (can sub coconut oil, butter or avocado oil)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Heat the oil in a heavy cast iron skillet (or oven safe skillet) over medium-high heat until sizzling.
- Season the steak evenly on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Sear steak 5 - 7 minutes on each side, until brown and starting to crisp. Using tongs, rotate the steak to sear all sides.
- Transfer skillet to preheated oven and bake 5 - 10 minutes until desired doneness.
- Remove to a plate, place butter on top and cover loosely with foil to rest for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.
TOMATO FETA SALAD
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 ounces sheep's milk feta cheese, crumbled or cubed
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of ¼ lemon
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- Toss all ingredients together in a salad bowl. Serve immediately.
Discover how to drop fat with chocolate, bacon, and cheesecake. Plus: learn the 3 worst foods you should NEVER eat and the 7 best exercises for rapid fat loss. Click below to to claim your FREE gift ($17 value)!
HOW TO BURN FAT WHILE EATING DELICIOUS FOOD
If you’re ready to drop fat while eating delicious real food like bacon, eggs, steak, and cheesecake—get my 30-Day Fat-Loss System with a $20 discount!
You’ll get all the tools you need to take your health into your own hands, including: A Wild Diet 30-Day Fat-Loss Manual, quick-start guide, shopping guide, motivational journal, and our our easy-to-follow 30-Day meal plan!
NO MORE boring meals and calorie-counting wheels. No more embarrassing weigh-ins or killer treadmill workouts. Just delicious food and simple home-exercise that will have you shedding fat in no time.
Share your all-time favorite Wild breakfast in the comments below.